Hey groupmembers, I already talked about my opinion about social classes on carmen (if you want to read that you just have to go on carmen.osu.edu and look for "First Day Writing"). Taking that little essay into consideration I never thought about typical social class structure. So I would say that my interests don't depend on the social class everybody expects. For example I am a fencer. I know that many people think that fencing is a "high class" sport, but It might be because of the amount of fencers that have a good family background is higher than, for example, soccer. But I love to play soccer as well as I love to fence. I would say that my personality is strong enough to escape from the peer presure that the society's places upon many people. I'll put the last sentence in easier words: You don't have to be a member of a Country Club, to be in a high social class! That's my very personal opinion. Do what you want, do what is the most fun for you! Don't think about society's opinion about it. That's a very important rule of a country which says that freedom is its most important value. But actually the American society as far as I know it doesn't really care about that value. The society thinks that a guy who works at McDonald's is not high-educated and/or has no wealthy family background. In most of the cases that might be right but there might also be exceptions. These exceptions actually just prove that you cannot base your life on prejudices. If the guys just reads comics that doesn't have to mean that he couldn't read Shakespear's Hamlet. Maybe he just loves to laugh about Mickey Mouse. I love to read Goethe for maybe once year as much as I love to read my magazines.
No comments:
Post a Comment